Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Raw Foods : Subtle Nutrtion


As Many of you know I practiced strict "100% Raw Veganism" for many years.  I didn't even drink tea.  The growth and transformation that I underwent, in mind body and emotions was tremendous.  This demonstrated in my abilities with Yoga Asana.  Detoxifying old holding patterns through a water rich live foods diet translated into increased flexibility, energy and balance.  For quite a while.  If you've been to our Raw Foods workshops before then you have heard us extol the benefits.

In late 2009 after 5 years of teaching lots of "heated" yoga, I felt that I was burning out.  My energy levels were low, my immune system was compromised and I was becoming increasingly sensitive to environmental toxins.  The artificial heat of the yoga classes I taught was becoming unbearable and even though I ate a water rich diet, and drank water constantly, I felt like I could not quench my thirst.  The amount of classes I was teaching, in combination with 9 years as a raw foodist may have exacerbated my state, but in my 17 years of yoga practice I  have seen many Yoga teachers and practitioners "burn out" .  This takes the form of fatigue, injury, sickness or often a sense that the joints are giving out, like shoulders, knees and wrists.

In November 2009, we left Minneapolis and I hoped the general fatigue and sense that something was burning me up would cease, since I wasn't teaching "hot" yoga.  The symptoms did not go away however.  Living in Costa Rica on a raw diet of mostly coconuts, greens and fruit, if anything things seemed to get worse.  I was initially not willing to question that the food I was eating provided the most optimal nutrition for my body, partly due to the success I had had on raw foods, and partly do to my  Identification with the food that I ate. 

In 2012 I find myself stronger and feeling "younger" than I have since I was 16.  What changed?  In Raw foods: Subtle Nutrition I will be presenting elements that I believe to be crucial to long term success with any diet, and specifically in regards to yoga and yoga practitioners.

We'll look at weight loss, detoxification and what is subtle nutrition and why is it so important to radiant health.

No comments:

Post a Comment